10/28/10

Carl (Durango Coffee): Drama at Levi's Gran Fondo!

Gran Fondo - California
a
The weather was perfect. We started out at 8 am from Santa Rosa with 6000 people this year. As we left Santa Rosa in the mob it took 20 miles to thin out. By then we had traveled by narrow roads through the wine vineyards and were starting into the redwood forests. We passed through these huge redwoods that were just far enough apart to drive a car through. So what did they do? They put the road there. The tree trunks were as wide as a car too. They were tall and it was dark in there.

About mile 42 we started to climb out of the redwoods and climb and climb and climb on a road that was wide enough for one car. 12- 18 % grade for the next 6 miles. Finally made it to the top and out into the sunlight and onto the coastal meadows. Lunch was the next stop at about mile 50 at the top of Kings Ridge. Then what goes up must go down. You thought lunch but no I meant the road. We descended a bit and then back up another 12 -14% grade. Ok then down one more time. The descents were as steep and narrow as the climbs. More redwoods to miss on the way down. Then..... thump, thump, thump coming from my back wheel on the way down. 30 mph. Some crazy curves, steep and kind of dark in the trees. My rim started melting from the brakes. Oh my! I didn't know they could do that? :-( Should I start walking? The rim was barely holding my tire on. I still had 40 miles to go with another 3 miles descent on an 18% grade down to the ocean. But first I had another 14% grade to climb. I wasn't sure if my wheel was gonna hold me. Drama !-)

Well it held for the rest of the ride but it is toast. The descent to the ocean was spectacular on just the front brake. Pictures attached. What a great route. Then one more 14% grade for a couple miles to climb and descend leaving the coast on the way back into Santa Rosa through the vineyards.
a
So I never caught up to Levi, Taylor Phinney, Ben King the new young US pro champion, Steve Cozza and Dr Mc Dreamy on Grey's Anatomy, Patrick Dempsey. That is the picture of Levi and Patrick while being interviewed on stage talking about their charities at the end of the ride.

All for now,

Carl