7/30/08

Worship Report for July 27th - by Wade Nelson

Writing about a ride you didn't take much part in is challenging. So I'm gonna write about flat tires instead.

Here's the thing about flats. If you don't take the time to figure out WHY a tire went flat, throwing a new inner tube at it will only result in a SECOND flat tire. Flats are a Zen thing. They're telling you to slow down. Enjoy the scenery. Talk to people. Show the newbie how it's done. Or if you ARE the newbie, learn how to do it. Enjoy the PROCESS, not just the result. Cause if you rush the process all you'll end up with is ANOTHER FLAT.

Old Testament Reading: Leviticus 21:18
For whatsoever man he be that hath acne (a blemish), he shall not approach the altar: a blind man, or a lame, nor he that hath a flat tire

Mike was truly astounded by the fact that nearly EVERY cyclist who went past us while we were working on his 3rd? 4th? flat of the day asked if we needed anything That's Durango. Never mind the Texan crushed beneath a tree and left to die in the Weminuche. Just a snafu. Communication mix-up. But we do have his ATV, camping gear and mountain bike for sale, see the Associate Pastor.

Once you get into the Zen of flats, then you can be pleased and amazed at all the NEW ways you discover for tires to go flat, like a spare tube with a defective valve that caused Mikes' THIRD flat. (A rim strip not completely covering spoke holes in his deep-dish rims caused the first two). The cause of the FOURTH flat remains unknown. If only this was the Tour de France and some guy would lean out a car window and install an entire new wheel on for you.

After spending the first half of the ride fixing flats, newcomer Mike and I rode a bit past Trimble lane, out to the burn area, where we met up with the pack returning from Baker's Bridge. Bob is back on his upright bike again, and made it to Baker's Bridge and back. At Trimble Bob lent us a FIFTH tube, just in case.

Bowing to peer pressure Laura showed up with clipless pedals and new shoes this week. So far, no Artey Johnson fallovers at stoplights. Sorry, no YouTube clip. I looked.

"Where's your bicycle, Pastor?" I said, because it was the first time I had seen him walking in 10 years! "Don't know, I think it might have been stolen, but I will definitely get it back on Sunday" he replied. "At my next sermon I will go through the Ten Commandments. I've got faith that after I get to 'Thou shalt not steal' God will sort it out. The following week, sure enough he was riding the bike again. So I asked him if the Ten Commandments thing had worked out as planned. He replied, "Well, I got as far as "Thou shall not commit adultery....... suddenly I remembered where I left the bike."